cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 2960G can do IP routing?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, I see some information on the Cisco website that 2948G switches can do Layer 3 functions.

Then I attempted to use the Cisco IOS configuration tool in order to find images for Cat 2948G and Cat 2960G, and I see no ip routing image listed for such platforms.

So my question is, can a Cat 2960G do ip routing after all?

I thought that was available only on Cat 3550/60, 3750's and beyound but I want to confirm.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2948G was a special hardware release and it can't be compared with any of the current 2900 series switches.

For more information on the 2948G, please check its documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2948gand4908g/12.0_18_w5_22a/configuration/guide/config.html

BTW, this device is EOL for a while now.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Cisco 2960 switch can't do "ip routing". it's a Layer2 switch.

HTH,

Toshi

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"So my question is, can a Cat 2960G do ip routing after all? "

No.

" I see some information on the Cisco website that 2948G switches can do Layer 3 functions."

Correct, in that the switch "understands" IP packets for some features. E.g. "Advanced QoS".

[edit]

Correction: misread 1st statement's 2948G to as also a 2960G. It's the 2960G that "understands" IP packets for QoS. Edison has great reference for 2948G's L3 features.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2948G was a special hardware release and it can't be compared with any of the current 2900 series switches.

For more information on the 2948G, please check its documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2948gand4908g/12.0_18_w5_22a/configuration/guide/config.html

BTW, this device is EOL for a while now.

HTH,

__

Edison.

That explains then. It was as special case. Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco