cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Join stack members

daniel_qian
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to manually join a member switch? currently both switch are showing as master.

show switch detail on master:

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0024.f9f7.4680

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0024.f9f7.4680 15 0 Ready

2 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 0 Provisioned

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

--------------------------------------------------------

1 Down Down None None

show switch detail on the other:

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0025.466f.7f00

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

*1 Master 0025.466f.7f00 1 0 Ready

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

1 Down Down None None

9 Replies 9

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what steps you did to get there, thus I suggest you read the documentation on how to properly provision a switch into a stack

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

I actually went through the chapter before I came here. It did not really tell me what is wrong with my stack ( two switch stack)

How are your stack cables connected?

It doesn't look like you have a valid connection between your stack ports on the back of the switches. Make sure you use TWO stacking cables to fully close the loop on your stack.

I strongly suggest powering off the switch that isn't properly configed (the second switch in your example?), rechecking your cables, and then powering back on and seeing if it joins the stack.

The election process can come to a decision junction at which point it selects the switch with the longest uptime- and this may inadvertently cause you a lot of headache.

this is how the cables are connected:

switch1/port1 -> switch2/port2

switch1/port2 -> switch2/port1

and I noticed the switches have detected stack connection during boot up process. If the cables are not connected at all, the port status should be showing as absent, right?

Per your output, it shows the stackport status shows down. This is the physical connection that allows the stacking to take place.

Did you connect the stacking cables per the diagram on the documentation I provided?

yes I did. If the cables were not connected at all, the port status should have been showing as absent, according to the documentation

Never seen 'absent' as a status indicator. You either get 'down' or 'ok'. This document provides the output that you should get:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/command/reference/cli2.html#wp9606493

HTH,

__

Edison.

Centronix
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same problem. There seem to be a lot of people with a similar problem in the 'Support Community' but no real fix or solution. If anyone can help, please...

show switch detail
Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0023.5e0f.da00

H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
*1       Master 0023.5e0f.da00     15     1       Ready
2       Member 0000.0000.0000     0      1       Provisioned
3       Member 0023.5e60.7a00     13     1       Ready

Stack Port Status             Neighbors
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2
  1        Ok        Down               3      None
  3       Down        Ok              None       1

Power down the secondary switch. Unprovision it from the configuration if it has it listed.

# config t

# no provision xxxx

Upgrade the IOS to 12.2.55 latest on both switches manually. Reboot and make sure both are running the same code. Power down the member switch and make sure the stack cables are plugged in tightly in the manner you have Switch1 port 1 <-> Switch2 port 2 and vice versa for full duplex connection.

Once stack ports connected, power up the member switch and check status. I always perfom it in this way to minimize problems.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco