cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

911 Calls Accidentally Made

darylpotts
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that has users that constantly dial 911. They are going to be getting fined by authorities due to the number of times that this occurs. They do not want to change their dial plan as this is a large site of just under 2000 employees across the US. Any thoughts as to best result of at least notification or something to help alleviate this issue?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

j0ann3j0anne
Level 1
Level 1

Daryl, I went through this just recently myself. The users were blaming it on "faulty hardware" but ultimately I produced the call logs from the gateways and the phones to show that someone had actually pushed the buttons. From that point it's a matter of finding out who was sitting at that desk at that time.

When the problem is shown to be traceable to a phone and an individual, it becomes an accountability issue between that individual and his or her supervisor. Remedial training is ultimately the remedy.

regards,

Joanne

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daryl,

This is an all too common problem and as Joanne nice noted (+5 points here Joanne:) is really an educational issue primarily. Products like Cisco's Emergency Responder solution can help to alleviate the notification questions and many great NetPros have some interesting mitigation techniques listed in these threads;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddedd8a/0#selected_message

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&topicID=.ee835d2&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddb6085

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

j0ann3j0anne
Level 1
Level 1

Daryl, I went through this just recently myself. The users were blaming it on "faulty hardware" but ultimately I produced the call logs from the gateways and the phones to show that someone had actually pushed the buttons. From that point it's a matter of finding out who was sitting at that desk at that time.

When the problem is shown to be traceable to a phone and an individual, it becomes an accountability issue between that individual and his or her supervisor. Remedial training is ultimately the remedy.

regards,

Joanne

Along with additional training is there anyway that if the person were to stay on the phone that the 911 call would go to an auto attendant stating that the call is going out to the 911 center and to please stay on the line and also can we send an email or notification to admin staff showing who is dialing the 911 calls?

Thanks

Joann,

My name is Richard and I noticed that you mentioned that you could produce call logs from the gateway. I would like to produce call logs but currently have not been able to. I have been using KiwiServer but that i snot detailed enough, can you help me?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daryl,

This is an all too common problem and as Joanne nice noted (+5 points here Joanne:) is really an educational issue primarily. Products like Cisco's Emergency Responder solution can help to alleviate the notification questions and many great NetPros have some interesting mitigation techniques listed in these threads;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddedd8a/0#selected_message

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&topicID=.ee835d2&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddb6085

Hope this helps!

Rob

hauchinango
Level 3
Level 3

I had the same problem. I blocked 911, and made it nescessary to dial the 9 access code when dialing 911. Now, callers who need to dial 911 dial 9,911.

This eliminated the false alarms at my locations.

We've set up all of our switches in the region to accept 911 as well as 9,911 so we don't get into any legal issues because of someone forgetting to dial the extra '9' in the heat of the moment. It does lead to a few more false alarms, however I'd rather deal with those as they happen rather than get into trouble for forcing the extra '9.'

Yes, I tried to take that approach as well until finally law enforcement began threatening fines if we continued false alarm.

richardfuentes
Level 1
Level 1

You can try createing a script file so when a person dials 911, the script files kicks in and may say something like, "If this is a real emergency press 1 and your call will continue, otherwise press 2 or just hang up"

I had a customer with the same issue. They believed it to be someone incorrectly dialing.

They created 2 dial-patterns for 911. The first one was 911, without the urgent check box and a second that was 911? that would reject the call.

This also required the interdigit timeout to be short.

End user experience was that if they dialed 911, CUCM would wait to see if they dialed another digit due to the second dial-pattern, if not the call went out after the interdigit timeout. If they did dial another digit it was indeed a mis-dial and was rejected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: