skip the CCNP ?

Unanswered Question
Jun 23rd, 2009

I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback on skipping the CCNP. here's why....my CCNA certification has expired and so has my previous CCNP exams. From a cost standpoint it would cost me at least $300 x 3 = $900 (CCNP) + 250 (ccna prereq)= $1150 to get the CCNP. I was thinking I could just use that money for my CCIE library and equipment to get me past at least the CCIE written. so from a time and money standpoint it would appear that I should just begin studying for the CCIE Written. back in the day when the exams were $125 a pop I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but at the current price I think twice.

Oh BTW background info 6yrs exp and I have a small lab rack at home. I set the lab up for the CCNP, but evaluating the cost and effort it would 'appear' going directly to the CCIE written is the more energy/cost efficient route.

any thoughts ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
jim_berlow Tue, 06/23/2009 - 12:27

I think you have a strong case for going directly to the CCIE. If your goal is to get the CCIE, then I would skip the CCNA/CCNP and save that money for your CCIE prep (it is expensive). Now, I'm assuming here that you do not need credentials on your resume right away or anything. The CCIE will probably take you a couple years to complete and quite a bit of money before you have something to show for it.

shedrickc Tue, 06/23/2009 - 13:33

Thanks for the feedback. Good point regarding having the credentials during the interim.If i get impatient at any point perhaps I'll just take a CCNP Exam to guage my progress and knowledge level. In the meantime. I think I will put together a study schedule/ lesson plan for the CCIE written. Thanks again

rob.huffman Wed, 06/24/2009 - 05:12

Hey Jim,

I agree with your assessment here :) +5 points for this nice response.

Cheers!

Rob

tperrier Wed, 06/24/2009 - 10:23

Charles, you keep referring only to the CCIE written. Maybe you already know, but the CCIE written is not a certification per se. Between CCIE written only (no lab passed) and CCNP, only the latter counts as a cert.

shedrickc Wed, 06/24/2009 - 10:36

Perrier, thanks, you are correct. I am just referring to my intial goal/starting point with the CCIE cert as the end goal. In other words, since my cert goal is actually to become a CCIE I was brainstorming beginning my CCIE studies at the written exam instead of beginning my studies via the CCNP cert. If the CCNP could offer some added value then I'd start there, but I can't think of anything it adds but additional cost and time. not to mention the fact that my CCNA has expired so I'd be going all the way back to start. I'm glad my high school diploma and college degrees don't expire...imagine the time and cost of that do-over :)

marikakis Sat, 06/27/2009 - 15:03

Exam costs vary per location, but still I cannot understand the 3 x $300 calculation for the CCNP. I suppose you are considering the Composite exam option instead of taking BSCI and BCMSN separately. I just checked at the VUE site from my location and it says Composite costs 219 euros (+tax), which would be the rough equivalent of $300. The other exams for CCNP typically cost less. In my location they cost 126 euros (+tax), which could be approximately $150 in your location. You might consider checking the prices in detail at the VUE site for your location if a reduced bill by say $300 makes any difference to your decisions. You might also be interested in the following promotion: http://www.pearsonvue.com/cisco/comeback2009/

Actions

This Discussion