cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS: vrf-lite and bandwidth provisioning by SP

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Came out of a meeting today scratching my head a bit..

a customer is subscribing to mpls vpn services and is thinking of adding internet ontop using vrf-lite.

the handoff from SP PE is 100mb ethernet. the customer is in control of CE. for internet services the customer signs upto 60mb and for mpls-vpn 40mb. both will be delivered over single dot1q vrf-lite trunk.

which QoS mechanism is likely to be used by the SP to carve up the 100mb over two vlans?. the PE platform is C73k router.

thank you

Ajaz

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can see them marking the whole traffic coming from the customer at ingress and matching the traffic at the internet egress point with 60Mbps shaped for that customer and shaping to 40Mbps for other destination networks.

In short, marking at ingress and matching at egress + intended action.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Ed,

Based on your answer I assume that there is no issue with applying shaping to subinterfaces?

regards

Ajaz

Shaping for CE<->PE? I see no issue. Either you do that at the CE or the PE will police it down to the negotiated rate.

___

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card