cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dumb switch

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question I need a dumb switch to plug into my internet providers router.

Going to run that switch in a conference room so outside folks can reach the internet. I have a 2900 series switch and want to turn that into a dumb switch. Is all that is needed is to wipe the config by doing write erase and that is it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to erasing the running and saved IOS script, you may also want to erase the vlan.dat file in NVRAM. The commmand for that is "delete flash:vlan.dat". After both this and the "write erase" commands, you should perform a "reload".

See the detailed technote covering just this procedure at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml#reset_switch

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That should do it. I would double check and make sure HTTP is disabled, VTY lines are off, etc. You might want to consider 'hardening' the switch as well.

ok sounds good, thank you for help. That sounded a little to easy but I appreciate your help!!!! thank you

Hi,

Remember to issue #dir and see if it has vlan.dat file, then you should delete this file. This will ensure this dumb switch does not have any previos/old vtp domain/vlan info.

Hope this helps !!

Shaheen

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to erasing the running and saved IOS script, you may also want to erase the vlan.dat file in NVRAM. The commmand for that is "delete flash:vlan.dat". After both this and the "write erase" commands, you should perform a "reload".

See the detailed technote covering just this procedure at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml#reset_switch

Good catch thank you sir for that!!!

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for your response much appreciated!!!!!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One other suggestion, if your 2900 series switch supports VTP, you may want to configure it to ignore VTP.

K will do thank you for that as well

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card