cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

two ip address mapping

rajibchicago
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to map two ip addresses to one ip? I have one old server (ip 10.1.1.100) and a new server (ip 10.1.3.10). Now some of my applications are configured with only server IP 10.1.1.100. Now I am wondering is there any way to route to the second server ip if the first server is down. thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rajib,

this is something that should be done at the DNS or WINS level not on network devices.

network devices can implement some form of software of hardware based load balancing of cluster of servers but this require C6500 hardware and additional modules for hardware load balancing (ACE or CSM) with the requirement to have all servers in the same ip subnet including the virtual server

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thank you all for your help. thats what i thought too, but just wanna confirm. I am out of luck, i guess i have to reconfigure all the apps with server name not the ip addr (this should have done at the first place)

atyalebipin
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you need to use Cisco ACE 4700 to load balance the requests to the applications or else you can use NAT in which you can use one vitual IP to access the two servers behind the NAT ip address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: