IP Communicator remote connectivity using SSL VPN cisco any connect client

Unanswered Question
Jun 24th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi

has anyone seen this before?

I have a customer that uses SSL VPN cisco any connect client configured on their ASA 5520.

When I try to configure IP Communicator for remote connectivity for user using any connect client, the only way i can get an IP communicator client to connect is by adding the MAC address of the any connect adaptor - makes sense.

I know on the LAN i could configure a dummy MAC address on my communicator and it would register, along with the LAN adaptor - however over the SSL VPN using any connect - it will only register with this MAC address.

The problem I have is that whenever another remote access user connects using any connect - the MAC address of the any connect client adapter provided is exactly the same (00-05-9A-3C-7A-00). Therefore the scalabilty of this is the sum total of 1 ! (as I cannot add another IP communicator to my UCM server).

I am using UCMv6.1(3) but i don't think it matters. Apologies if this is one for the security guys.

cheers

Stuart

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mike-greene Wed, 06/24/2009 - 10:22
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi,

Instead of using the MAC addresses or interface for IP Communicator, try using the device name option under Preferences, Network. No matter where there at or how there connected to the network or Internet, Communicator will always register under that name.

HTH

stuart.geoghegan Thu, 06/25/2009 - 01:18
User Badges:

Hi Mike

thanks for your response.

This is what i meant by using a dummy MAC address. I checked the radio button for "use this device name" and used SEP112233445566. I know this works on the LAN, but over SSL VPN it will not using the any conenct client.

Previously I have used IP communicator using the cisco client VPN. This registers with the dummy MAC address or the MAC address of the VPN client adaptor - this seems to be individual (and therefore scalable).

The problem is the only way i can get IP communicator to register via the SSL VPN (where anyconnect client is used) - is using the MAC address assigned to the any connect client. But as stated earlier the any connect cleint only generates the same MAC address for the adaptor installed on the laptop.

francoisverges Mon, 01/28/2013 - 11:55
User Badges:

Hi Stuart,

We are facing the same issue right now. Did you find out a solution to the problem ?

Thank you !

francoisverges Thu, 03/14/2013 - 06:52
User Badges:

Hi Stuart,

I don't know if you find a solution to your problem but in our case, we tuned the configuration of the software IP Communicator to make it working.

Have a good one.

Actions

This Discussion