Views
Helpful
Replies

Deployment and sizing of MARS

arturo.monroy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am in charge of the security of a big project, including the design and deploying of a SOC.

I will have a central site (site A) and other five operational sites (sites B). In average each site will have the following ITC infrastructure:

- 1 Catalyst 6500 (L3)

- 1 FWSM

- 1 IPS 2Gbps

- 1 Core switch (stack)

- 6 Distribution/Access switches

- NAC Clean Access Server

- 16 blade switches (inside blade enclosures)

- 1 Active Directory (and DNS/DHCP) server

- 1 AV Server (McAfee ePO)

- 60 servers for different applications (the majority for video)

- 120 users on site

Each site B will have 1500 small branches (near 8000 in total). In turn, each branch will have one Cisco ISR router and a 4Mbps ADSL link.

I am considering having Cisco MARS in the SOC to do all the security monitoring, identification and response of incidents. Additionally I will have the NAC manager and an ACS in the SOC.

I have the following questions:

- What type of deployment is better for this project?:

a) A central standalone MARS controller in the SOC, or

b) A central global controller in the SOC and a local controller in each site (one A and five B)

- How can I estimate the EPS at each site if they do not exist yet and I cannot measure anything?

- Does someone have data about EPS (average and peak) for real scenarios for each of the aforementioned infrastructure products?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards

Arturo

1 Reply 1

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

Devices may be all in one or distributed sites. if the devices are in one sites or the cost of transferring the data between sites is low then one CS- MARS appliance may be able to handle the job.

Sites may belong to separate administrative units where smaller boxes that each administrative unit could own may be a better solution than one larger, shared CS-MARS.

Begin with the number of events per day. If the traffic is uniform throughout the day the convert the events per day directly into events per second.

Calculate Estimated Number of Events Per Second.

Events/hours = Events/day * 1 day / 24 hours

Events/second = Events/hours * 1 hours/3600 second

For example, assume 5 000 000 Events/day

Events/second ~= 58

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: