cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Floating Routes

victorchen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Can I ask when doing Static Floating Routes, the prefer route is unreach able,

the it will choose another route directly. however, when original prefer route is backup. how long will it switch from second prefer route to orignal one.

Can I control the route refresh time?

thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Victor

As soon as the original next-hop is up the router should revert back to the original static route.

Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks, but the reason I ask this question is it doesn't revert back to the original static route immidiately after the link is up,

and in fact it takes copule minutes to back to original static route even the link already backup.

what is taken in to consideration is the time it takes for you primary link state to changed to "up." and for the orginal router to be up for the router again to start using the next-hop address of the original router.

Note: When using static route, the primary interface line protocol must go down for the backup floating static route to be used and to mobe back to the primary, you have to wait for the line protocl to come back up and the next hop is avilable.

for faster recovery you'r better off using Dynaic routing protocol like OSPF with sub-sec failover.......

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card