Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Allowed VSAN's on MDS 9513

Dear All,

I have 2 ciso MDS 9513 switches and have ISL enabled between those.I want to restrict 1 VSAN traffic to pass through that ISL,i know i can do it through DM by configuring the port properties to Allow VSAN's,but not sure whether this can be done online without disrupting the traffic of the VSAN which i want to allow..The switches are in production..

appreciate your help in this regards..

Thanks and Regards,

Murtuza

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure...If you are on the command line, issue this command on the FC or port-channel interface.

swichport trunk allow vsan 22,52

This will remove all other VSANs.

To add a new VSAN (example VSAN 100), the command is

switchport trunk allow vsan add 100

to remove VSAN 22 the command is

no switchport trunk allow vsan 22

The key is not to issue the command

switchport trunk allow vsan 22 (without the add option) as this will set the trunk to only allow vsan 22.

These config commands should be performed on both ends.

Once the trunk is up, you can add/remove vsans with these commands. 'add' must be included when adding a vsan or it will overwrite the current allowed list.

I think with FM, you have the option to type in the VSAN numbers youwant to add as part of teh EISL trunk configuration.

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can prune VSANs off of an E-ISL with no impact to the working VSANs. Usually it is not a bad idea to leave VSAN 1 in the VSANs allowed list (where it is active across the trunk) as long as there is no user traffic in VSAN 1. If VSAN 1 has user traffic, and you want to remove it from the trunk, that can be done without impacting the other VSANs using the trunk.

Hi Mike,

Thanks fro your quick feedback..Currently i have all the VSAN's allowed through the ISL which is by default(1-4093),could you please help me with the exact value that i need to populate in the trunk config option.I want to dis-allow VSAN 22,52.

Sure...If you are on the command line, issue this command on the FC or port-channel interface.

swichport trunk allow vsan 22,52

This will remove all other VSANs.

To add a new VSAN (example VSAN 100), the command is

switchport trunk allow vsan add 100

to remove VSAN 22 the command is

no switchport trunk allow vsan 22

The key is not to issue the command

switchport trunk allow vsan 22 (without the add option) as this will set the trunk to only allow vsan 22.

These config commands should be performed on both ends.

Once the trunk is up, you can add/remove vsans with these commands. 'add' must be included when adding a vsan or it will overwrite the current allowed list.

I think with FM, you have the option to type in the VSAN numbers youwant to add as part of teh EISL trunk configuration.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: