cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which memory does "logging bufferred" write to

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I have never really understood this so I wanted to publish the question this morning.

Which memory on a router/switch does the "logging buffered". I would guess that it is the main memory displayed in the line:

Cisco 3845 (revision 1.0) with 484351K/39936K bytes of memory.

Is this correct?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Typically, logging messages are stored in a router's memory buffer; when the buffer is full, older messages are overwritten by new messages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/cs_sysls.html

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Typically, logging messages are stored in a router's memory buffer; when the buffer is full, older messages are overwritten by new messages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/cs_sysls.html

Hope that helps.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The logging buffered command makes use of the router's memory and per your output you have a router with 512MB DRAM.

If you type the command logging buffered without any argument, the buffer size will be 4096 and it can be verified with the 'show log' command.

You can also specify any size you want and it all depends on how much memory other services are consuming. It's not wise to create the buffer too big.

(config)#logging buffered ?

<4096-2147483647> Logging buffer size

(config)#logging buffered 8192

#sh log

Log Buffer (8192 bytes):

HTH,

__

Edison.

That is why I was asking. Currently we have the command logging buffer 64000...

this is kinda large but should this not be OK since we have 512 MG or RAM??

thx Edision

That's 64KB, it should be fine.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: