Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS Scalable Load Balancing Method

a.veschak
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings All,

Looking to the brain trust here for some options on a requested load balancing schema.

I have a CSS11506 for which I need to configure some 'scalable' load balancing.

We have 2 servers configured for load balancing... we'll call the services S1 and S2.

The requirement is to have S1 to service all traffic until its related server CPU reaches 80%. Once this occurs, then traffic should start being sent to S2 for load balancing.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

-Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unless you can do SNMP over UDP that will be difficult with the CSS script language.

The ACE device has the snmp probe to do just what you are looking for. But not ACE.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adam,

one solution is to have a script running on the server which can get the cpu load.

You then create a keepalive script on the CSS to poll the S1 cpu load and as long as the value returned is below 80% you keep S2 down.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not real savvy with creating scripted keep-alives from scratch.

Can you direct me to some links where I can learn more about creating such a script on the CSS?

Thanks again!

-Adam

do:

CSS11503-2# sho script ap-kal-httptag

And you will see an example.

Gilles.

Gilles,

How about something for an SNMP GET ... particularly on the CPU variable?

Thanks,

-Adam

Unless you can do SNMP over UDP that will be difficult with the CSS script language.

The ACE device has the snmp probe to do just what you are looking for. But not ACE.

Gilles.

meant SNMP over TCP.

LOL... yes... ACE is coming to us soon... just trying to figure this out while still on CSS.

Thanks for your help, Gilles!

-Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: