cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software Upgrade for Cat 3560

joseph.apato
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to Cisco world but finding the hardware easy to manage. I have several Catalyst 3560's Series PoE-48 serial number FDO1245Y06J. Currently the hardware is running Cisco IOS release 12.2(35)SE5.

Is there a newer version I should be running and if so can someone respond with a link to the software.

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't have a problem with the current IOS version running on those devices, then I recommend staying with what you have.

IOS upgrade triggers are:

- Impacted by a bug that is fixed on a newer code.

- hardware support or new software feature that is only available on a newer code.

Usually, upgrading to a newer code can bring new issues that you didn't have so it's best practice to stay with a good working code until you can't due to the triggers I mentioned above. In addition, 35(SE5) isn't old.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joseph,

Edison's correct. When it comes to IOS upgrades, we follow the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Unless there are features you need with the new versions, you should check with the Feature Navigator to determine what version you need.

When you've settled to the version, go through the Release Notes of the version so you can be aware of potential bugs you may stumble yourself into.

If you have the opportunity, test the software until you are satisfied with the performance.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card