cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 2955 Not accepting Break Seq

jcastleberry
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to do a password recovery on a Catalyst 2955 but it will not accept a break sequence to allow me into flash (there is no mode button on this model). I have tried several terminal clients (Secure SSH, Putty, Hyperterminal, Etc) and I have the same result with all. The switch simply does not see any break seq from any client. I have followed Cisco's documentation. If anyone knows the correct method please let me know.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jay,

The break sequence MAY have been disabled (on purpose) in the configuration with "no service password-recovery".

Try this and let me/us know if this works:

http://www.heinzulm.com/password.php

Please rate when helpful and/or applicable.

Interesting...didn't know you can do that.

Please give it a try...I'm curious to know if it works too.

Also, does the break sequence work on a different router/switch?

If you have a USB to serial adaptor, the break sequence may be something different.

Hi Kevin,

If you have a USB to serial adaptor, the break sequence may be something different.

I've heard about this but I have not yet come across which brand/manufacturer has the correct one.

Due to the proliferation of USB ports against serial ports, Cisco has started rolling out appliance that has 5-pin mini-USB for console (WLC 5508).

I had read that during the load the switch will alert me if the no service password-recovery command has been issued . I have looked for that and have seen nothing to the efect that password recovery has been disabled.

After reading the article you posted it looked like he got into his switch by sending the break sequence before being prompted by the switch. I will be going back out in the field to the switch today and will try that.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jay,

Did this work?

jcastleberry
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the slow update. I tried 3 different laptops to send the break seq. It finally worked when I used a serial to usb adapter / vista/ and a terminal client that allowed me to remap my break key. For whatever reason the switch finally saw the break with that combonation of hardware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: