uc500 host-remote Q/CoS application without VPN

Answered Question
Jun 25th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Per the attached diagram, I’m trying to figure out best way to approach the design. I need to apply Q/CoS over the point-to-point link, but the telco provided routers are not Cisco and not end-user manageable. Since nothing is connected to the WAN interface in attached diagram design, there is no interface to apply outbound service policy. All traffic, web, voice and data travel from the remote to the host site over the point-to-point so Q/CoS is needed. That is, dedicate a specific amount of T1 bandwidth for voice (prec 5 or 4 for SIP connectivity) leaving the remainder for other traffic.

One option is to connect the p-2-p router LAN interface to the UC500 WAN interface and re-IP in a routed scenario. That would then give us a “WAN” interface in order to apply the service policy outbound. It would add another 2 hops to the route, but the additional hop would be minor latency for the added benefit of Q/CoS application.

Is there another way to approach this design so that Q/CoS can be applied across the p-2-p telco link without purchasing 1841 routers w/ T1 WICs?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Correct Answer by Steven Smith about 8 years 3 days ago

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-8084

Let me know what you think of that document.

Correct Answer by Steven Smith about 8 years 3 days ago

With the current setup, if you don't use WAN port on the UC, you will be needing extra hardware. 

If you could get the telco involved, you could have them change the subnets on the router, connect the WAN, add a few routes, and not re-IP the entire network, just the portion of the network that is between the UC WAN and the T1 LAN on each side.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Steven Smith Thu, 06/25/2009 - 09:15
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

With the current setup, if you don't use WAN port on the UC, you will be needing extra hardware. 

If you could get the telco involved, you could have them change the subnets on the router, connect the WAN, add a few routes, and not re-IP the entire network, just the portion of the network that is between the UC WAN and the T1 LAN on each side.

MICHAEL JOHNSON Thu, 06/25/2009 - 09:23
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

That is what I figured. I can get the telco to Re-IP their LAN side of each router so that will be the way we proceeed. Thank you.

Do you have any links to voice Q/CoS guides for this type of deployment?

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content