Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Switch not botting properly

fullerton175
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We currently are working on installing a 6500 Switch into our network but have come across a strange problem that I've never seen but undoubtedly someone here can probably assist me.

After I install my config for the switch (pretty basic config of setting up switchports, routes, etc), run a 'write memory', and then reboot the switch (power off and power on), the switch goes to the ROMMON prompt rather than loading the IOS and the configuration of the system.

I can go into the ROMMON commands and load the config but I'd rather the system reboot automatically if it loses power for whatever reason.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Please check the config-regester setting if that is different than 0x2102..? That is one reason the switch goes into rommon mode.

hth

MS

**Rate helpful posts**

I did a "show version" on the switch and the configuation register shows to be 0x2102

Hi,

Gurus in this forum may be able to shed more light, but there is chance that the switch lost/corrupt the IOS from the bootflash when you try to reboot. Are you seeign any (error)messages on console dring the reboot..?

hth

MS

**Rate helpful posts**

What's pecuilar is that our reseller took the config I am using and tried to load it onto another 6500 switch that also worked fine and boots fine. After the config is loaded he gets the same issue with the switch in his lab only booting to ROMMON. I swear that I have put nothing in the config to manipulate the boot settings on the switch.

This may help.. do "verify bootflash:" and see if the checksum verification works fine. If not then the IOS may be corrupted. Also, do a show bootflash to make sure IOS is existing in there.

MS

Below is the results of the verify boot flash and show bootflash for your review

show bootflash

-#- ED ----type---- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- ---------date/time--------- n

ame

1 .. image 63459B18 19E4040 42 26623936 Jun 10 2009 15:33:38 +00:00 c

6msfc2-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF16.bin

5357504 bytes available (26624064 bytes used)

Dungeon#verify bootflash:c6msfc2-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF16.bin

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCC

Verified bootflash:c6msfc2-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF16.bin

Is sup running in hybrid mode? The image on MSFC is for hybrid mode if I remember correctly.

If yes, boot it manually in rommon mode and check register number setting in catos side.

can you look at the boot statement in the config and paste it here? also a dir of the bootflash:

Okay, this is where I look down at my feet and shift uncomfortably. The image for the device is on one of those PCMCIA type cards. So, what I had to do was go into config mode and add the command: boot flash

I then did a "wri mem"

I then did a reload

After that the switch booted fine.

I will now bow down for proper ridicule and egg tossing.

MATIJA PETROVIC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my config was correct but I still had the same issue and was able to fix it by replacing 3V CR1225 lithium battery (sitting close to SP Bootflash).

My sup720 was without power for a long time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card