cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Terminating Connection

luelmo.martin
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys I hope you can help me with this one, it's been confounding me for days now. I have a user who needs remote access through vpn to our client but he has been unable to keep a connection for more than 5 minutes or so before it terminates the exact error upon termination is:

Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.

Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

Connection terminated on..... Duration 1:40

I've also taken a high level log from the client (attached).

From what I can tell the vpn is somehow screwing up the routing table or is unable to update the table once the connection has been established. I've tried using a different NIC, I've updated the client software to the latest version my other users are running successfully but still the problem persists. Once the vpn terminates it doesn't reset the routing tables either and continues to point traffic through the vpn network connection until I disable then re-enable the actual LAN connection.

I hope I've provided enough info on my problem. It is very important to get this user's vpn he's been given priority by my boss. AKA please respond asap, haha.

2 Replies 2

Patrick0711
Level 3
Level 3

Looks like the VPN is configured to tunnel ALL Traffic...notice the route to 0.0.0.0 after connected:

Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.177 192.168.10.177 1

Looks like DPD packets are destined for 140.211.84.114 but this traffic is being encrypted and sent over the VPN tunnel..

luelmo.martin
Level 1
Level 1

I understand WHAT is happening I just don't know how to fix it. Thankyou for the reply anyway though. By the way I thought it may be the NIC card so I added a new NIC to the machine but that still hasn't solved the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card