Views
Helpful
Replies

Latest stable IOS image for C3750

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Hello All,

Will someone advise which is the latest most stable IOS for the Catalyst 3750?

Thanks,

G

Please rate useful posts.
7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi George,

When it comes to IOS upgrades, we follow the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Every IOS has a potential for a bug. It depends on the features and fuctions you are currently employing.

The good thing about Cisco is that if a specific release is truely "buggy" Cisco takes necessary steps to pull it out of the download page.

Before you start downloading the IOS, read through the Release Notes to better warn you of the potential bugs you may encounter within your network.

If you have the opportunity, test the firmware until you are satisfied with the response.

Hope this helps.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

George

Just to add to Leo's post.

Apart from bugs the only other reason to look to upgrade is if you need new features that are not supported in your current IOS.

If this is the case then you usually know exactly which IOS you need to use.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Find the version with the features you must have within the current offerings, e.g. 12.2.#-SE, where # is 35, 37, 40, 44, 46, 50, then latest within that version. In theory, later/latest releases within the same version, e.g. 12.2.44-SE, -SE1, -SE2, -SE3, -SE4, -SE5, -SE6, are bug fixes, so they should improve stability. However, within 12.2.44-SE, both SE4 and SE5 were deferred (pulled), so the theory doesn't always hold in practice.

[edit]

Release notes for latest: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/release/notes/OL18263.html Table 5 shows release IOS features.

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for your responses but I am looking for a feature which was added in 12.2(35). Since that feature is still present in the successive releases, I am not quite sure if I need to stick to 12.2(35) or move to the later releases.

Thanks,

G

Hi George,

Thanks for the ratings.

If your current version supports the feature you need, would you mind sharing your hesitation to upgrade to later releases?

Hello,

I don't have any hesitation on upgrading the Ios. I am looking for a stable version to upgrade to .

Thanks,

G

If you don't need any features beyond those in 12.2(35), I would suggest, generally, only upgrading to the latest version of 12.2(35) unless there's a bug documented in that release that was only fixed in a later version release and this bug impacts your operations. The reason for this suggestion, any time code is changed, there's some chance of introducing new bugs. If the code is being changed only to fix other bugs, odds are there's a net improvement. If the code is being changed to provide new feature(s), odds aren't as good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: