cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP redistribution into OSPF using reachability route-maps

scott.stapleton
Level 1
Level 1

I am redistributing BGP routes into OSPF. I have a route-map tied to the redistribution. I would like to only redistribute particular routes from BGP into OSPF based on IP reachability. I have configured tracking using "track 1 rtr etc" (IP SLA would be the alternative) and the "rtr 1 etc" command.

I am attempting to use the "set ip next-hop verify-availability 1.1.1.1 10 track 1" route-map command however this doesn't seem like the appropriate route-map command. A "match ip next-hop verify-availability" style command would make more sense but does not exist.

I only want the routes specified in the prefix-list to be redistributed if "1.1.1.1" is available and otherwise NOT redistribute the routes.

I have been able to find no examples which utilise "set ip next-hop verify-availability" with redistribution. Most examples use it with static routes or route-maps tied directly to interfaces etc.

Route-map below:

route-map OSPF-REDIST-ADVERTISMENT permit 10

match ip address prefix-list EBGP-SITE-ROUTES

set ip next-hop verify-availability 1.1.1.1 10 track 1

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Scott,

>> "set ip next-hop verify-availability 1.1.1.1 10 track 1"

This command can be used in a route map used for PBR not in a redistribution context.

In redistribution context you can use

match ip next-hop access-list#

or

match ip route-source access-list#

where you can check the BGP next hop attribute of the BGP routes or the source of the advertisements.

if BGP removes the routes they will be removed from OSPF domain.

In other words you have dynamic routing protocol running object tracking is thought for making static routes aware of indirect failures not involving the state of the outgoing interface.

Or you can see this as a missing feature

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the info Giuseppe. Can you or anyone else suggest how I may accomplish this.

I resolved this by not doing the redistribution at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco