Codec Voice Payload Size

Unanswered Question
Jun 26th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi all,

I have a cuscomer that is migrating all branch connection to dsl circuits, since dsl use atm encapsulation and in order to reduce the impact for the atm encapsulation we will change the voice codec paylod size to 30 for g729. My question is:

Thoes the voice codec paylod size must be the same betwen all end points in a voip call ?, we need to change also the paylod size on the mgcp remote gateways and in all the trancoding/conference resources ?

Many Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mchin345 Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:11
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

The voice payload size per packet can be configured in Cisco CallManager and Cisco IOS gateways. PreferredG729MillisecondPacketSize-(Default setting: 20 ms. Available settings: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 ms.). When you increase the voice payload size the VoIP bandwidth reduces and the overall delay increases.

Configuring Voice Payload Sizes in Cisco CallManager and IOS Gateways:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094ae2.shtml#configvoice

patcbr600 Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:22
User Badges:

Hi,

My question is that if i have to change it on both ends of a call.If i have a phone that calls to the pstn via a cisco mgcp gateway, if i change the payload size on the callmanager for the ipphone i also have to change on the gateway otherise i will have diferente framing size for both ends of the call.

Thanks

marshall.d.higg... Thu, 07/02/2009 - 22:54
User Badges:

Yes, if you do not the transcoders will be used to perform transrating from 20 ms to 30 ms. Not a desireable impact.

Actions

This Discussion