Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree - what would happen if ?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi there

If I had 2 distribution switches, then an access layer switch dual homed to both dist switches, running STP, But if I effectivley turned off STP on the link between the dist switches, what would happen on the access switch ? would it still work and block as per normal ?

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carl,

>> But if I effectivley turned off STP on the link between the dist switches,

do it only if between the two distribution switches there is a L3 path otherwise you are in trouble.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would then likely not have anything blocking on the access layer as you have eliminated the inherent loop in the network.No different than say having 2 uplinks and then a routed crosslink .

hi there

thanks for that, one more question, can you still use HSRP on the dist routers for the access layer clients if there is a layer 3 link between them ?

Sure , not a problem .

Hi Glen

Does this mean that all the hsrp traffic will be flowing through the access to dist uplinks?

Correct - you need a layer 2 link between the two SVIs participating in HSRP, so the HSRP hellos would be flowing through the access switch to maintain adjacency.

I have never deployed this type of design, we tend to stick with the traditional looped topology between access and distribution, using Rapid-PVST+ to maintain a loop free topology.

If you have many access switches using the same Vlan you may start to complicate design / troubleshooting by removing the layer 2 link between the distribution switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card