Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP timers question

blackladyJR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I have two eBGP peering that I am a CE router facing a LAN Layer 3 switch and facing a service provider PE. So I have default 60/180 seconds with PE and I have set 5/15 facing LAN layer 3 to peer with.

So are the two bgp peers timers are independent for bgp to start up and establish sessions?

thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Joyce,

>> o does that means in my router I can have two independent sessions and each with different timers?

yes

>>When you refer to the lower value use, are you referring to within a single session such as L3 and CE, If I set 5/15 and L3 set 20/60, then for this single session between L3 and CE, it will use 5/15. But this is not related to a separate session between CE and PE that I set for 60/180, correct?

yes it is correct proposed timers should be part of the BGP open message and can be session specific

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Joyce,

on each BGP session you can have indipendent timers if you have used

router bgp xxx

neighbor y.y.y.y timers

on each session the lowest values proposed by the two involved peers are used.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Yes that's what I have setting my two peers with one using 6/180 and another using 5/15.

So the L3 also set with 5/15 to match. And PE also set with 60/180 to match.

so does that means in my router I can have two independent sessions and each with different timers?

When you refer to the lower value use, are you referring to within a single session such as L3 and CE, If I set 5/15 and L3 set 20/60, then for this single session between L3 and CE, it will use 5/15. But this is not related to a separate session between CE and PE that I set for 60/180, correct?

Hello Joyce,

>> o does that means in my router I can have two independent sessions and each with different timers?

yes

>>When you refer to the lower value use, are you referring to within a single session such as L3 and CE, If I set 5/15 and L3 set 20/60, then for this single session between L3 and CE, it will use 5/15. But this is not related to a separate session between CE and PE that I set for 60/180, correct?

yes it is correct proposed timers should be part of the BGP open message and can be session specific

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card