Helpful
Replies

6500 - help

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have acquired another firm and they had Cisco 6500 series Box

Its my first experience with 6500 Box, I have noticed to configure VLAN I have to connect to session 15 and to configure ethernet port I have connect to another session. One session is CAT OS and another session is IOS.

Is this normal.

I dont have any experience on CAT OS,

what steps are required to upgrade from CAT OS to IOS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Amin,

for many years the Hybrid mode was the only mode to use a C6500.

When Cisco bought the Catalyst company they had already developed their switch products with their own operating system and their own CLI the catos.

I had been using CatOS and hybrid switches for years and I had some difficulties in turning to Native IOS.

Shortly, the device was installed with CatOS previous network administrators didn't feel to upgrade it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Amin,

what you see is normal the device is in hybrid mode.

here it is the migration procedure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801350b8.shtml

the steps are different depending on the type of supervisor you have.

you need to save the configuration of both sup and MSFC somewhere.

There is an automatic conversion tool but other collegues have reported that it is better to do it manually.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

I've not used it I did few conversions manually.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The Box has 2 Supervisor engine.

why the switch is in hybrid mode, any special reason.

Hello Amin,

for many years the Hybrid mode was the only mode to use a C6500.

When Cisco bought the Catalyst company they had already developed their switch products with their own operating system and their own CLI the catos.

I had been using CatOS and hybrid switches for years and I had some difficulties in turning to Native IOS.

Shortly, the device was installed with CatOS previous network administrators didn't feel to upgrade it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Many thanks for replying my post, you ROCK !!!! MATE...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card