Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5010 to Cat 6506 Sup720 using 1GB ports

Hi,

Our budget just got cut in half--sign of the times! Can I connect a Nexus 5010 to a 6506 with 6724-SFP module using a 6GB etherchannel? The 6506 has a Sup 720 and will only be used to route the VLANs. All server swithing will be done through the Nexus 5010 and 2148T.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The Cisco Nexus 5010 switch has 20 fixed 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports equipped with SFP+ interface adapters. The first 8 ports are switchable 1-Gigabit and 10-Gigabit ports. Up to 6 additional 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports are available on an expansion module.

The Cisco Nexus 5020 switch has 40 fixed 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports equipped with SFP+ interface adapters. The first 16 ports are switchable 1-Gigabit and 10-Gigabit ports. Up to 12 additional 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports are available on the expansion modules.

That's from the documenatation.

It's my assumption that a normal cisco-branded SFP will work. I don't think you're going to find a 1/10Gb SFP+.

GLC-T

GLC-SX-MM

GLC-LH-MM

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

Both the Nexus 5000 and Nexus 7000 will add support for a feature called Virtual Port Channels (VPC) which allows the formation of multi-chassis ether channels like that with VSS on the Catalyst 6500.

hi Isabel,

>> Jul 5, 2009, 9:14am PST

>> Both the Nexus 5000 and Nexus 7000 will add support for a

>> feature called Virtual Port Channels (VPC) which allows

>> the formation of multi-chassis ether channels like that

>> with VSS on the Catalyst 6500.

Nexus 7000 has had virtual Port Channel (vPC) since the release of NX-OS 4.2 around January this year.

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/white_paper_c11-516396.html

you are correct that Nexus 5000 doesn't yet have this. N5K will gain vPC when NX-OS 4.2 is released on N5K in/on/around Q3 CY2009.

cheers,

lincoln.

If he's got a single 5k, VPCs don't make much sense here, though.

The question is if the 5k can do etherchannels with 1gb connections?

I seem to recall that some subset of the 5K ports can be used with 1GB SFPs, but I can't recall specifics. For some reason I think the first X ports (8?) can use a SFP. This means you can make a 6 port etherchannel.

I'd do some more resarch on which ports accept regular SFPs- I don't find that answer immediately.

a12288
Level 3
Level 3

I can't see why not, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/EtherChannel.html

Actually, we are going to do the exact same thing here, one reason is to postpone the expenditure of purchasing 10GE line card at C6500, but more important in our case, we won't expect much more 10G traffic is going to "leak" beyond Nexus 5000 layer, which would be more like a new data-center distribution layer.

The issue I'm having is finding the correct SFP for the Nexus. Is there a 1GB SFP for the first 8 ports that can be used as 1GB?

The Cisco Nexus 5010 switch has 20 fixed 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports equipped with SFP+ interface adapters. The first 8 ports are switchable 1-Gigabit and 10-Gigabit ports. Up to 6 additional 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports are available on an expansion module.

The Cisco Nexus 5020 switch has 40 fixed 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports equipped with SFP+ interface adapters. The first 16 ports are switchable 1-Gigabit and 10-Gigabit ports. Up to 12 additional 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports are available on the expansion modules.

That's from the documenatation.

It's my assumption that a normal cisco-branded SFP will work. I don't think you're going to find a 1/10Gb SFP+.

GLC-T

GLC-SX-MM

GLC-LH-MM