cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hreap local switching

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

I am trying to get hreap working with local switching with little success. I want to trunk in the remote location but no matter what I do, the dhcp addresses I receive are dependent on what the native vlan is on the port the hreap ap is associated to. For example, if native vlan is 100, both ap and client get addresses on vlan 100 even though client is supposed to be associated to vlan 112. It is as if no tagging is happening.

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to specify the native vlan on the h-reap ap and also the vlan tag for the local vlan. This is done on the h-reap ap after you configure a LAP to run in h-reap mode.

* Make sure that the WLAN SSID is configured for local switching

* LAP must be configured for h-reap

* Configure the native vlan on the h-reap ap tab. The trunk port on the switch will be configured for native vlan 110

* On the h-reap ap under the h-reap tab, configure the WLAN SSID to vlan 112

* Only allow vlan 110 & 112 on the trunk

* Make sure vlan 110 & 112 is active and there is a dhcp scope for that vlan

This should do it for you.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you very much. Is there a good article on how addresses are obtain in local switching and remote switching. It confuses me no end. To set up the tunnel remotely does the AP get a native vlan address so it can estalish the the tunnel to the controller. After that is established does the AP change addresses if the management interface is on another vlan.

The native vlan is required for the AP. So that the ip address on the h-reap ap will not be tagged. The AP will only get their ap from vlan 110 which you specified as native. So vlan 110 needs to be local at the remote side. Vlan 110 will need ip connectivity to the vlan your wlc reside on. This is how the ap can recieve and send information to the wlc. Again, you need a dhcp scope for vlan 110 and vlan 112 on your remote side.

When and h-reap ap boots up, it will need an ip address to communicate. It should get an ip from vlan 110 and then communicate with the wlc. This is not an lwapp tunnel, since the ap is in h-reap.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

I configured hreap local switching, but only dhcp does not work in wireless clients (the wired local clients are ok).

DHCP is in headquarter WLC.

The log in WLC .....

Mon Jul 27 09:17:52 2009: 00:22:41:b8:76:19 DHCP received op BOOTREQUEST (1) (len 308, port 1, encap 0xec00)

Mon Jul 27 09:17:52 2009: 00:22:41:b8:76:19 DHCP dropping looped REQUEST (encap type 0xec00)

Thanks, best regards

I have this same problem... Also If I uncheck VLAN support clients in the Branch Office can get an address from the switch DHCP server.

Is there a resource or a guide for setting up DHCP and RADIUS to work with H-REAP?

Is DHCP working at the remote site on that same VLAN for wired clients? If it's not, then it won't work for wireless clients. Clients connecting to an SSID that is locally switched for H-REAP get their DHCP locally, not from the WLC end. The only client traffic that is tunneled back is authentication traffic, and that is done before DHCP takes place.

As for the RADIUS, are you talking failover for H-REAP groups in case of a WAN failure, or general RADIUS configuration on the WLC?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: