Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP720-3BXL to SUP720-3B

Is there any way to convert SUP720-3BXL to SUP720-3B.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Waseemullah,

I guess you would like to use SSO or RPR with these two supervisors mounted on the same chassis but you can't because they are of different models.

The best move is to get one additional Sup720-3B and to build the chassis with them.

Otherwise you could try to transform the sup720-3B in a 3BXL upgrading both the RP memory and the SP memory using two 1 GB chips.

But I'm afraid this is not enough to have the sup720-3B to think it is a 720-3BXL this should be written in some eeprom.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi giuseppe,

I really appreciate the response, we also concluded the same thing bz once we tried to bring up the chassis with only 3BXL it was working fine, while along with SUP-3B it (3BXL) was was goin' on ROMMON mode.

Thanks again ....

I have a 3B and a 3BXL that I would like to run in the same chassis. Has anyone verified if upgrading the RP & SP memory will allow SSO or RPR to work with these different models?

Hello Jeff,

even if it is possible to upgrade the memroy chips on both RP and SP and to upgrade to a PFC 3BXL this could be not enough.

The supervisor can have written in some eeprom that is a sup720 3B and if this information is exported in the redundancy messages exchanged with the other supervisor this could lead to a failure of SSO or RPR strategy.

This kind of information can be seen with sh inventory

NAME: "5", DESCR: "WS-SUP720-3B 2 ports Supervisor Engine 720 Rev. 5.4"

PID: WS-SUP720-3B , VID: V04, SN: SAL1132WU89

the following example is for a sup720 3BXL

NAME: "module 6", DESCR: "WS-SUP720-3BXL 2 ports Supervisor Engine 720 Rev. 5.2"

PID: WS-SUP720-3BXL , VID: V02, SN: SAL10467RED

We should know the implementation of the redundancy protocol that exist inside the chassis but it is likely that the part-id is exchanged.

if instead we are speaking of upgrading a standalone SUP 720 3B this is something that can be done.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card