Replies

wlan security standards, wpa.802.11i,wpa2

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I was studying about wireless standards. i have few questions;

Here iswhat my book says about wpa:

"The IEEE was working on the IEEE wlan security standard.802.11i, but the wlan industry needed a quicker solution than waiting on the IEEE standard. So the wi-fi alliance took the current work-in progress on the 802.11i commitee,made some assumptions and predictions and defined a defacto industry standard WPA.

================================

Does WPA include a subset of 802.11i features ? or does wpa include subset of 802.11i- features+ features resulted because of assumption and predictions wi -fi alliance made while 802.11i was still in draft ? if yes then,

What are those features resulted because of those assumption and predictions?

==================================

Does wpa 2 means 802.11i? or put it another way, does wpa 2 includes all the features specified in 802.11 i ?

thanks a lot and have a nice weekend !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

according to the following WPA2 is an implementation of 802.11i

>>WPA2 is the next generation of Wi-Fi security. It is the Wi-Fi Alliance's interoperable implementation of the ratified IEEE 802.11i standard

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a008095382f.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

according to the following WPA2 is an implementation of 802.11i

>>WPA2 is the next generation of Wi-Fi security. It is the Wi-Fi Alliance's interoperable implementation of the ratified IEEE 802.11i standard

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a008095382f.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card