What to do after first attempt? (CCNA)

Unanswered Question
Jun 28th, 2009

Hello all, I took my CCNA (Composite) exam on Friday. I felt pretty confident and went in there answering the questions but when I got to question 30 (I had 44) I had 14 minutes left and rushed it :( I thought I was going at a decent pace but it seems that I was not going as fast as they wanted me to.

I did get stuck on two simulations (well not really stuck, I figured them out but it took me a good bit of time, at least 15 minutes each =/).

I feel that I understand the basic's and I understand all the concepts of NAT,ACLS,EIGRP,OSPF,etc so how should I prepare for my second shot at it?

Should I take as many practice exams as possible and try to cut down on my time?

I got 750 out of 1000 even though I rushed it from question 32 to the 42 ( I did not finish the whole exam).

any advice? I really like Cisco and trying my best to get this CCNA so I can move forward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
crow930us Sun, 06/28/2009 - 22:50

The first thing to do is to review your results sheet and see which topics you might be week in.

From the way you described things it sounds more like you need to spend less time on certain questions which should allow you to finish the exam without having to rush things at the end.

One trick I've used is to writeup a page of things that I needed to memorize. Things like subnet tables, basic commands to configure something or anything else that you need to memorize. When you sit down and before you start the exam dump all of this information onto the sheets of paper that you have been given.

This will save you time on some of the questions and give youmore time for the other questions. remember you really only want 1 page of info to put down. the time you spend putting this info down does not count towards your exam time.

The biggest time saver for me was having the subnet tables handy. Good luck on the next time you take the exam. I know people from Cisco have posted other suggestions on how to save yourself time on exams. If I can find more I'll let you know.

hth

hello..i have attended ccna exam 2 weeks back and failed. For CCNA exam the questions were came from the dumps i have prepared. Almost all questions were asked from it. On the second chance when i write the exam will the questions be the same , repeated or will cisco update the questions ? is that why they gave a gap of 5 days for the second try. should i go through it again or should i prepare other dumps for the exam.? please advice .. i'm really tensed about this. which dumps should i go through?

viyuan700 Mon, 06/29/2009 - 03:34

Should I take as many practice exams as possible and try to cut down on my time?

In my opinion taking more exams will not help instead review why you took 15 min each for sim and any other topic which is taking your time. Once you have answer i think you will be fine.

Leaving one or two question at the end is not a problem IF all the questions attempted are correct.

You can also check result for areas you didnot perform well.

jrosetta1 Mon, 06/29/2009 - 06:25

I appreciate all the advice. I will try everything you both mentioned. I was hit hard after the exam, because after all my review sessions and going over with other people, I knew the basics and the concepts of each topic.

Now that I think about it, everytime I take a test I am always the last person to leave.

Danilo Dy Wed, 07/08/2009 - 20:48

Study/Focus more on your weak areas (see test result). Check other study/practice materials to understand them better.

Review the materials for the areas where you are strong (see test reult).

The simulations are time consuming.

In my personal opinion and experience(after taking and passing CCDP, CCNP, and CCSP):

- getting one simulation right should be enough.

- no point wasting time in one simulation as if you really don't know how to tackle it, it won't help you if you spend a lot of time on it (its not multiple choice).

jrosetta1 Thu, 07/09/2009 - 04:37

thank you medan, the thing about the test result. It really does not break it down well enough imo and just gives you % but I will look over those areas.

Thx for the the advice on the simulations I will remember that the next time I take it. I am trying to take it in a week but it does not seem like that will happen :( Money and time is just an issue at the moment.

So I been studing overall just so I will not forget what I learned. Just in case I cannot take the exam until next month or something.

viyuan700 Thu, 07/09/2009 - 11:42

i hope you know about the promotion if you fail the exam u can take the test again without paying again. something comeback2009

jrosetta1 Thu, 07/09/2009 - 15:46

I heard about it, but the stipulation to that is you have ot pay in full to get the next one free. I had a 70% discount on my first try.

jimmysands73_2 Fri, 07/10/2009 - 19:18

I am sorry you did not pass...when I hit the submit exam button on my first try, I KNEW I had not passed ( I hate the word failed ), but I passed it by one or two questions. I also had to quickly do my last 5 questions and only had about 2 mins left.

At least now you know what the expect, the type of questions, and whats expected from the sims.

What I would suggest is book to review (such as Lammles Fast Pass book, or Cisco Press makes one, http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587131749). You can have my Fast Pass book, see thread https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/26327#26327.

Also make sure your subnetting skills are quick and correct. Even though questions might not directly have you subnet, subnetting is part of the indirect answer.

Finally, I would simply do as many practice questions from as many sources as possible. Use this fourm and also Cisco Learning Network for any clarifications you need https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccna?view=discussions

http://www.subnettingquestions.com/

Good luck!!

Jimmy

jrosetta1 Sat, 07/11/2009 - 12:07

Wow thank you for the information. I plan to take the exam again as soon as I can. It seems I will not be able to take it until August (money reasons).

So I been reading / looking over questions daily.

thank you for the links!

pipemajor Thu, 07/16/2009 - 19:04

Time is your enemy as well as your ally.

The 2 areas you're most likely to lose time in these exams are doing the subnetting math and solving the simulations.

For me, I practiced subnetting over and over and over again until it became 2nd nature. I still got bunged up on the sims and failed the ICND exam twice. I went back and really hit the troubleshooting steps and became far more comfortable with using the show commands to find what I needed.

Since the validity of my prior INTRO exam expires end of this month I started over and hit the CCENT material. Wrote that exam earlier this week and passed with 900+ points and 15 minutes to spare.

Practice, practice, practice.

mark.paquette Tue, 07/21/2009 - 04:20

www.getcertify4less.com - you might be able to find a voucher for the exam for cheaper than the normal cost, but you need to make sure you order it 2 days before the exam, because you need to register for the exam a day in advance at the latest.

I think Cisco has, or had, some second-chance thing for the Associate exams - I know I took advantage of it for the CCDA exam a couple of months ago (luckily, I barely passed the exam, so didn't need to take advantage of the free second-chance).

Don't be too discouraged - the CCNA is harder now then when I took it, and it covers a lot of material which used to be only in the CCNP track, if even there. I think it's one of the hardest none-IE exams they have, perhaps followed by the CCDP exam (which I'm preparing for) ... at least in general networking (some of the CCVP exams were killers ... mostly due to boredom, partially due to lack of experience with the technologies).

Treedroppings Wed, 09/16/2009 - 14:06

Yeah, I just took the CCENT and the show commands are the ones to learn. Also doing RIP and troubleshooting or setting-up the subnets are critical to know and practice.

mark.paquette Mon, 09/28/2009 - 05:09

If you agree with the exam assessment - pointing out what areas you had trouble with, then I would suggest brushing up on the areas you had problems with. If simulations are your issue, then you might want to check out the GNS3 software (it is a Cisco router emulator, but you need to supply a real IOS to run it).

Don't feel bad - the amount of information in the CCNA exam is tremendous, so you've done very very well. If you have access to practice exams, then by all means redo until you're a whiz ... taking exams is a skill in itself - there are tricks like how to scribble out notes on your scratchpad at the very beginning, etc. Also, don't wait too long between attempts or you might start to forget what you already knew. Hopefully, Cisco still offers the second-chance thingy, where you get a free re-take after your first attempt.

Also, check out getcertify4less.com ... I've purchased vouchers from them for at least the last 6 exams I've taken - saves you a few dollars at least.

hello..i have attended ccna exam 2 weeks back and failed. For CCNA exam the questions were came from the dumps i have prepared. Almost all questions were asked from it. On the second chance when i write the exam will the questions be the same , repeated or will cisco update the questions ? is that why they gave a gap of 5 days for the second try.

should i go through it again or should i prepare other dumps for the exam.? please advice ..

i'm really tensed about this. which dumps should i go through? 

Actions

This Discussion