Cisco ATA186 & call manager config question?

Unanswered Question
Jun 28th, 2009

Hi There,

I hope I can get some assistance with a configuration issue that I'm facing when setting up a lab environment using a phone line, an ATA 186 and Call manager. I'm connecting a phone line (PSTN), to the ATA, which is connected to the same LAN as the call manager. It is configured to get an IP address by DHCP. This works fine as I can see the ATA registered in call manager with a valid IP address. The problem I'm facing is that as i'm not using a gateway and I'm not sure whether I can route calls via the ATA. As far as i understand only a gateway can be assigned to a route group, to be assigned to a route list and subsequently to a route pattern. So my question is whether I can somehow connect the phone line to the ATA, and configure it in call manager in such a way that I can receive and make calls via the number allocated to that phone line connected to the ATA without the need of a gateway?

I'll appreciate any input on this?

Kind Regards,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
marina.kaminski Mon, 06/29/2009 - 01:38

In order to connect to the PSTN you would need an FXO port on a gateway (or third-party ATA with FXO ports), ports on the ATA186 are FXS and are used to connect to the end devices like phone or fax.

egua5261 Mon, 06/29/2009 - 17:34

I entered the same post twice by mistake. (

I have now a VIC card available, the VIC-2DID and a 2600 series router (2611). I've read that this card has dual working modes, FXS and DID. Do you know if the DID mode is equivalent to FXO? If yes can this VIC card be used in the 2611 router with a suitable IOS?

This Discussion