Views
Helpful
Replies

Topology services not seeing all devices

StevieOliver_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Ciscoworks install that sees all my devices via Campus manager and DCR. However, when I go into Topology services 2 of my devices are missing and I cannot find a way of adding them to my map. I have 15 devices, 14 of which are L3 switches and one is L2 only.

Where does Topology services gather it's device info from before presenting the devices to you ?

Thanks, Stephen.

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Topology pulls devices out of DCR. It then applies any Data Collection filters on those devices so that only the desired set of devices are managed by Campus Manager. Hy default, there are no filters configured meaning all devices in DCR will be managed. Your missing devices could also be in Campus, but showing up in the Unconnected Devices view.

Thanks but I go to the following

Common Services

Device management

Device & Credentials

Device Summary

Then open out the All Devices + and all my devices are there.

Then I go to

Campus manager

Visualization

Topology services

Network Views

Unconnected devices

And there are no devices in there.

2 of my devices are 6500' with L3 links to 12 3750 stacks. There is one L2 switch connected to each 6500 via a trunk.

Where should I see these devices ? In LAN Edge view or Layer 2 view or both ? Strangely in the LAN edge view I see 12 of my 15 devices and in the Layer 2 view I see 13 devices. But I never see them all in any view or any in the unconnected view.

Stephen.

They should all show up in the Layer 2 view provided that CDP is properly configured. There may be a problem with your Campus database. What version of Campus Manager do you have?

I have CM 5.0.0 and CS v3.1.0 which are all part of a LMS 3.0 bundle.

Stephen.

Could it be that you see the cat6k and it's routing blade as different hosts and LMS seeing it as one entity?

Cheers,

Michel

I don't think so Michel.

I have actually managed to get Topology Services to see all my devices now by running through the server setup process again. However a futher peculiar thing is that although Campus manager discovery finds all 15 devices and topology services sees all 15. When I go to

Campus manager

Admin

Data Colletion

Device management

Include devices

Show included

This only shows 13 of my devices

In the show excluded devices section there are no devices so the missing ones aren't there.

At the moment I am happy topology services shows my devices and allows me to visually monitor them but this seems a very flakey in how device info is shared around different parts of this software.

Stephen.

Another peculiar thing I forgot to add. As I was troubleshooting the missing devices at on estage I got an error saying the DCR Server is down. When I looked at the process status the DCR Server showed as up. I stopped and restarted it. I then got an error saying the Group Admin Server was down but again it was up in the Process Status page. I rebooted the whole server and these errors went away ?????

What's going on there ??????

Stephen.

You need to upgrade. I'm betting you're seeing a known bug which prevents Data Collection from running properly. Move to LMS 3.0.1, then upgrade Campus to 5.0.5, and you should have much better results all around. LMS 3.0.1 can be downloaded from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/lms301 . Once you have 3.0.1, you can use Common Services > Software Center > Software Update to get Campus 5.0.5.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: