RV082 - Is there a way for me to stop the router from resetting the system statistics every 24 hours?

Answered Question
Jun 29th, 2009

I would like to collect accumulated statistics over several days, but the router seems to be resetting the counters to zero every 24hours or so.

I cannot find how (if) I can turn that off so the counters keep going.

Correct Answer by Te-Kai Liu about 7 years 7 months ago

Alternatively, one can go for a 64-bit counter implmentation so the counter can last much longer before it resets to 0.

Correct Answer by Te-Kai Liu about 7 years 7 months ago

The bytes count on the statistics page is a 32-bit counter that rolls back to 0 when the count reaches 2^32 bytes. You might need to take samples of this counter hourly and use a graphing software to take this discontinuity into account.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Te-Kai Liu Wed, 07/01/2009 - 07:37

The bytes count on the statistics page is a 32-bit counter that rolls back to 0 when the count reaches 2^32 bytes. You might need to take samples of this counter hourly and use a graphing software to take this discontinuity into account.

ray_buckland@uk... Thu, 07/02/2009 - 01:41

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm surprised that this limitation exists on a device that is being marketed as a small business / branch office solution.

I am sure that a log of daily statistics would be useful to most business users to manage their network.

May I respectfully request that in a future release of the microcode, the counters are saved to a time stamped log file before they roll over to zero.

Correct Answer
Te-Kai Liu Fri, 07/03/2009 - 00:41

Alternatively, one can go for a 64-bit counter implmentation so the counter can last much longer before it resets to 0.

ray_buckland@uk... Fri, 07/03/2009 - 00:51

Yes, 64bit makes sense, and writing out to a log file too so that trending analysis is possible.

If the developers are listening... please let's have this guys, it would be such a useful addition to the features of the RV082.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content