Views
Helpful
Replies

MLPPP

derek.leonard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a MLPPP with 2 T1's connecting the main branch and a remote branch. I called the telco to let them know I would be setting these T1's up as a multilink, incase they needed to do anything different. They told me nothing needed to be changed on their end and that the timing was coming from the router at our main branch. My questions are -

1 - Was the telco telling me the truth that nothing needed to be configured differently on their end?

2 - Is there a way to verify the timing is coming from our main router?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1- Yes, they have no configuration on their end for you to run MLPPP, it's done on your routers.

2- Check your config. You should have something like this on the head end;

controller T1 0/2/0

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

and at the remote;

controller T1 0/2/0

framing esf

clock source line

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

Also here's a link on configuring MLPPP.

https://packetpros.com/cisco_kb/VWIC-MFT_MultiLinkPPP.html

Hope it helps.

We have no controller configurations on the routers. I have included a sample below.

interface Multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

load-interval 30

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

service-policy output DATA

interface Serial0/2/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

OK, how about a line like the following?

network-clock-participate wic 0

No - the only network-clock-participate command in the config is no network-clock-participate slot 1.

Are you experiencing problems or just looking for information?

The command above is to restrict the device to use only its own clock signals. What does the other side have?

BTW, here's a good doc on troubleshooting T1s.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk628/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a758d.shtml

No clocking commands on the other side.

I would say its half and half. Since the telco said that we are providing the clocking for this mlppp, I'd like to know where that is setup at. But, I also dont feel like we are getting the full bandwidth that we should be seeing with these 2 lines virutally bonded togother. I had called the telco to check the lines and they said everything tested clean - although that seems to be their programmed response.

Thanks for the link - I actually already have this in my favorites :)

Are you seeing high packet loss or latency? Are you getting any packet drops if you send something like 5000 pings across the line? A few months ago we had misconfigured timing and here's what we we're seeing (check the graph).

https://packetpros.com/cisco_kb/T1_Timing.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card