cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Fault Torelent

tckoon
Level 1
Level 1

I knew FT only work with pair of ACE hardware.

I have this design where there site A Data center and site B as Disaster Recovery. Both sites each have 2 units of ACE. The internal server farm VLAN as extended from DC to DRC, it mean L2 LAN is extended to DRC.

Question is since FT support pair of ACE, from the requirement above, how can I make these pair of ACEs to work in redundancy ? I mean pair of ACEs at DRC to backup pair of ACEs at DC, in the event where the DC site both ACEs is down.

Please advice, thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could use Route Health Injection (RHI) so that both sites advertise a route for each of their vip.

If you set the precedence correctly, traffic should flow to the primary site and if down, they should take the backup route.

Gilles.

Please refer to attached diagram.

Site-A is active and Site-B is DR (backup)

Questions:

1) Does ACE 4710 appliance support RHI ? I do not see in the command guide.

2) refer to diagram, the physical server is on the same VLAN between 2 sites. Can side-A ACE FT with virtual IP x load balance to 4 servers, then on site B FT ACE configure with same virtual ip x and load balance the same four servers ?

The use RHI for redundancy in case site A is down, site B ACE can take over.

3) any idle this will work.

4) Any advice for redundancy FT ACE design.

Regards

Here attached diagram, having problem to attached it just now.

Please refer to attached diagram.

Site-A is active and Site-B is DR (backup)

Questions:

1) Does ACE 4710 appliance support RHI ? I do not see in the command guide.

2) refer to diagram, the physical server is on the same VLAN between 2 sites. Can side-A ACE FT with virtual IP x load balance to 4 servers, then on site B FT ACE configure with same virtual ip x and load balance the same four servers ?

The use RHI for redundancy in case site A is down, site B ACE can take over.

3) any idle this will work.

4) Any advice for redundancy FT ACE design.

Regards

1/ The appliance does not have RHI.

You will need to go with the module for such design.

2/ You can use the same servers, but you will then need to configure client nat with different nat-pool for each site so that the servers know where to send the response back.

G.

Btw, is Cisco plan to support FT peering more than two ACE ?

If yes what is the road map and planned date to roll out.

Regards

I have a customer whom is interested in doing something very, very similar. I was going to look at GSSs for load-balancing the sites. However, my concern was more with FT VLAN requirements:

My customer has two server farms in different buildings (same subnet) that is connected via dark fiber. The buildings are a couple miles apart. They'd like to have redundant ACEs (either appliances or ACE modules) at both sites running in redundancy mode. I saw in the doc that it suggests QoS for the FT VLAN traffic; are there any other network performance constraints or requirements (such as propogation delay) for the FT VLAN or query VLAN, or redundancy in general?

Thanks!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: