Is the tannoy feature real or just in the movies or on "24"?

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2009

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can help me with an end user question. We use the Ip 7940 series phones in our office and I have seen a feature used on TV and in the movies with these phones that I can not find on my phone. I would like to be able to contact a co-worker in their office by "tannoying" them on their phone so that my voice is heard on the loadspeaker with no ringing or the other person having to pick up the phone.

I have see this done on TV. The reason is that we have a manager who never answers his phone and lets all calls go through to his PA. If she knows he wants to take the call, then she has to leave her desk and walk to his office to tell him, then go back to her desk and transfer the call. If she could use this "tannoy" like feature, she could simply use this to say "I have Mr x on the line for you" and he could just pick up the call. Does anyone know if this feature is real? Or maybe it is available on a later model of the phone?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rob.huffman Mon, 06/29/2009 - 09:06

Hi Angela,

This is a real feature :)

Try this "manual" version of the Intercom Feature;

Here is an example for a Secretary/Admin DN 5119 with one Manager with DN 5116

For Assistants Phone - 7960

Line Button 1 - Ext 5119

Line Button X Ext 5116 (Set to Flash Only)

Line Button X+1 - Speeddial to Ext 4123 (Label Text Intercom xxxx)

For Managers Phone - 7940

Line Button 1 - Ext 5116

Line Button 3 - Ext 4123 (Label Text Intercom) **Set this to Auto Answer on Speakerphone**

On the newest CUCM Versions, 6.x and 7.x there is an actual Intercom Feature :)

Intercom Support for Cisco Unified IP Phones

Cisco Unified IP Phone Model

Check Page 367 of this rather LARGE pdf;

Hope this helps!

This Discussion