Wireless Clients

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2009

I am trying to setup the clients on our network with the Intel Wireless Utility package and in the administrative tool gives an option to setup Roaming Aggressiveness and i am not quite sure which option to use:

Default: Balanced between not roaming and performance

· Lowest: Your WiFi client will not roam unless significant link quality degradation occurs

· Highest: Your WiFi client continuously tracks the link quality and, if any degradation occurs, it tries to find and roam to a better access point

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jeff.kish Tue, 06/30/2009 - 12:10

You should test each setting. Here are the trade-offs:

Lowest: This will prevent your clients from roaming too much, which can cause degradation of performance. Each time a client roams, it could lose 1-2 seconds of network connectivity. However, your clients might cling to an AP that's far away and use lower data rates than it could have if it would roam.

Highest: This will prevent your clients from "sticking" to a particular AP by roaming early and often. This is beneficial since you don't want to be clinging to an AP down the hall at 11Mbps when you're standing directly under another one and could be running at 54Mbps. However, your client might be roam-happy and roam too much, causing a lot of network interruptions.

I hope this helps. You really need to decide which you prefer for your environment, and then run some tests. You might not even notice a big difference.

This Discussion