Switch Monitoring/Reporting

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2009
User Badges:

I have a network with one 4500 series switch and around 9 3750 switches connected to the main location via fiber in a ring. I am looking for good preferably free utility to monitor bandwidth and events on these switches. Any suggestions?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bschear Mon, 06/29/2009 - 10:30
User Badges:

Those look good. I assume it is one or the other and not use both? Do you like one of the suggestions better?

cisco_lad2004 Mon, 06/29/2009 - 11:11
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

I have seen Hobbit used for fault management and cacti for performance. I believe you its also possible to set thresholds on cacti which when exceeded create alarms.

HTH

Sam

hobbe Tue, 06/30/2009 - 01:17
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Yoy asked for a "preferable" free utility, I would check out Orion from solarwinds, its not free but for a small installation and it does not sound that you want to look at all the ports, it is not that expensive and you get a lot of good extra good stuff from it.

There are several free utilities but in general I think that you either get a software that you pay for in $ and it prepackaged to work "for you" or you get a free software and pay for it with your time to tinker around with it.

Either way you pay for it somehow.

Actions

This Discussion