Any way to bring up company directory for call transfers and conferences?

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2009

I'm working on replacing our current IP PBX with a UC500-based system and have a question about call transfering and the company directory.  In our current IP PBX, when you push the "transfer" or "conference" button, you are given the option to select somebody out of the company directory.  Is there any way to do this on the UC500 without parking the call and then browsing through the company directory and calling to see who is available?  Thanks in advance,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Skyler Spence Mon, 06/29/2009 - 12:57

You can do this by hitting the transfer key, then select the directories button (with the open book symbol) and choose Local Directory.  Search by name or just hit enter to see a complete listing.  Select dial, you can either let the extension answer and check if they are available and then transfer, or do a blind transfer right away.

sethschmautz Mon, 06/29/2009 - 13:56

Thanks for the feedback.  I had tried that before and had mixed success. . . if you're not quick i.e. less than 15 seconds from the time you hit the "transfer" button, you get a fast busy signal.  I count 4 menus and at least 5 buttons before you can even get to the directory.  If you want to search by name, you're over you time limit.  Maybe what I really need to figure out is how to give the receptionist a little more time to complete the transfer before it times out on her.  Is this possible?  Thanks for your help.

P.S.  in addition, the process above only appears to work with the 525Gs.  The 524Gs won't allow me to connect to the desired phone when I push "dial" from the directory.  What am I missing?

sethschmautz Thu, 07/02/2009 - 13:28

Hi Skyler,

What I'm looking to do is to assign a softkey to take me to the local directory.  When you reboot a 525G to default settings, "Directory" is one of the softkeys that comes up automatically.  How do I put that back on the phone?  Thanks,

Skyler Spence Mon, 07/06/2009 - 07:56

I've been trying to find a way to extend that timeout value, but so far no luck.  I understand and agree that when transferring calls using the directory a longer timeout would be helpful, unfortunately there does not appear to be a way to do this.  As for the 524 phones not being able to follow this procedure at all, I will need to look into this as I do not currently have a 524 available.  The directory softkey appears to only be an option for the 525 phones, meaning that there is not an option under ephone-templates to assign this softkey.  To return the 525 to its default softkeys without having to factory reset the phone, telnet to the UC520 and under the ephone configuration issue the command "no ephone-template".

sethschmautz Mon, 07/13/2009 - 06:50

Hi Skyler,

Thanks for the information.  I've just gotten back to this issue and will be able to work on it a little more.  I may go the route of reverting back to the default ephone template, but is there a way to modify a current ephone template or create your own with the buttons that you'd wish each phone type to see?  This would be a great feature to add into CCA, I would think.  Thanks,

Skyler Spence Mon, 07/13/2009 - 09:27

In CLI you can create your own ephone-template and assign which softkeys in what order you want the phones to have in various call states (like idle, line seized etc) however as I indicated earlier there is no option for the directory softkey.  This appears to only be an option on the 525 phone, and so it would make no sense to be in a template that is meant to span phone types.  There are lots of options, and what I would recommend doing if you are interested is utilize the ? help in CLI.

conf t

ephone-template 30

If you do run into something where you need further assistance, just post here and I'll try to help.

ronlewis Mon, 07/06/2009 - 17:57

UC500/CME has another method to get around this time out issue on the 7900 phones exists,

while in a call, press directories, local directory, choose the reciepient, and choose dial, you should get prompt to transfer to this number.......this way no time out exists with caller on hold....

Just train the users to not press transfer first, look up the user first....

I just tried this on my UC500 without issue running 7.0...

Ron Lewis

Cisco Systems

This Discussion

Related Content