cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between HREAP and Local AP

ibm.alexl
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested to know if there is any difference between HREAP (centrally switched, centrally authenticated) with normal local AP.

As I can see all the traffic from the AP will still go through the controller to at the central site.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point (H-REAP) is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. It enables customers to configure and control access points in a branch or remote office from the corporate office through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each office. The H-REAP access points can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when the connection to the controller is lost. When connected to the controller, H-REAPs can also tunnel traffic back to the controller.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As I can see all the traffic from the AP will still go through the controller to at the central site.

One feature I like about H-REAP is how the AP's transform to semi-autonomous operation. When local APs connect to a sole WLC, the APs are very dependent on the WLC. With H-REAP APs, when the WLC goes down, the APs continue to operate normally until the APs reload/reboot.

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

If you run HREAP AP in centrally switched and centrally authenticated mode, I don't see any differences with a local AP.

Maybe, but turn off your WLC and see if you can still use your wireless using Local AP instead of H-REAP AP.

:)

adriansoh83
Level 1
Level 1

Major difference, HREAP terminates the data flow locally on the connecting switch while LOCAL AP terminates on the WLC.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card