Will CCIE Security make immortals?

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2009

Hello all,

It is an always getting tougher challenge to stay distinguished and be able to not only administer and intelligently design your employer's ICT security systems but also to respond to the market technology trends and threats -which are not certain vendor proprietary - and resist the variant field pressures.

My question for all of you is:

1- Spending time/skill/money to be a Cisco Security Expert -CCIE Sec-.

2- Spending time/skill/money to attain multiple certifications, i.e:

*Cisco CCSP.

*M.S MCSE.

*Red Hat RHCE.

*EC-Council CEH, Licensed Pent. Tester LPT, CHFI.

*CISA.

*CISSP.

-->Which track you think will lay down a red carpet for successful information security career? regardless the difference in cost and effort.

All thoughts and comments are highly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Warm Regards,

Abdullah.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
andrew.fedyszak... Tue, 06/30/2009 - 02:45

Hi,

I doubt that anything will make you immortal :-)

Still in terms of professional recognition and financial reward becoming CCIE Security would be the best option.

Bear in mind though that having wider set of security skills (and not just certifications) would make you more employable in the meantime.

Many companies can not afford to employ different expert in every area so portfolio of Cisco/Checkpoint/Bluecoat/Juniper/etc skills/certifications would be valuable.

You can not avoid the obvious trade of, though (unless one is very clever).

If you work and study for 60 hrs a week but spend this time on 3-4 technologies, you will never be as good in particular technology as someone with equal ability who devotes 50-60 hrs a week to just Cisco or Checkpoint

regards,

Andrew

ciscolizer Tue, 06/30/2009 - 03:48

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your prompt and beneficial response.

I would like to ask you a one more question if you don't mind answering it:

Which you think is more important, being an expert in Cisco or Juniper for instance, or having a balance among the dominants of ICT security industry, thus by pursuing as I've said multiple professional-level coursewares for multiple vendors?

Thank you once again.

Abdullah.

andrew.fedyszak... Tue, 07/14/2009 - 07:31

Hi Abdullah,

I am sorry for late reply but I was away.

I think, that no amount of courses and certifications you take will replace real experience.

So your certification goals should be aligned with your current job role.

There is no point spending time and money taking courses in various technologies unless you will use it in real job.

Ask yourself, would you employ someone in fairly senior technical role just because he has certifications?

You would want experience as well.

On the other hand for more junior role, someone with CCNP, CCSP would be considered overqualified and only likely to stay till he finds something better, so why employ him?

If you are aiming for career as manager of technology then exposure (but again backed up by experience) to various technologies would be more beneficial then highest skill levels in one particular area.

Remember as well, that having many certifications may present you as a person without clear career goals, unless your certifications fit particular plan (like CCNA, then CCNP followed by CCSP because I develop my interest in security while working as CCNP).

Actions

This Discussion