Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1242AG bridge range issue

dataIP
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a problem with a set of 4 AIR-AP1242AG APs that are configured to bridge data.

In short, these are using the 5GHz radios to link 4 buildings.Point to multi-point.

In test, with units spread in different rooms at the office, all units linked correctly. On site the range appeared to drop to only 30m *.

As far as I can determine, with the ANT5135 3.5 dB antennas, we should see around 200m (at 6Mb) in free space?

The final install position will be inside a building which has plastic cladding (i.e. RF transparent) facing the matching AP in the other building.

* One odd thing, one link that was in the order of 60m away did periodically link, and this was not line of sight..

The data rate was locked down to 6Mb during site tests to see if an imporved range could be achieved, but no real difference was detected.

Could someone confirm the expected range of these units under open space conditions?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, the Range specifications for the 1240 series APs are listed on the product Data sheet here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: