cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distant OSPF neighbors

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers connected via VSAT, and between then there is many hops of the VSAT equipments that block OSPF hellos.

I have the solution to use tunnels, is there any other way to specify the IP of the neighbor?

Regards,

Omar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AKAIK - that is not possible. If you are passing from 1 network to another via an IP network in the middle, you will have to encapsulate the multicast hello's. or if the IP network in the middle is already running OSPF - then create a virtual link and piggy back it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You can specifiy the neighbors by the IP address, however the routers must have routing entries on how to get to the remote site.

The other option is to change the type of interface you are connecting via - NBMA, Point-to-Point etc.

HTH>

In NBMA, I can specify the neighbor command, is this sufficient?

Sorry - my last post is mis-leading, I had not read you inital post correctly.

Are you planning to create a GRE tunnel across the link that blocks multicast hellos's from OPSF?

If so - you need to define the GRE tunnels as a point-to-point network type.

HTH>

Not exactly, I want to avoid using the GRE tunnel. and make adjacencies with distant routers.

AKAIK - that is not possible. If you are passing from 1 network to another via an IP network in the middle, you will have to encapsulate the multicast hello's. or if the IP network in the middle is already running OSPF - then create a virtual link and piggy back it.

Fine,

Now I'm sure that I'll need tunnels.

Thanks again Andrew.

np - glad to help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco