Views
Helpful
Replies

RID and loopback?

fjcardenas-1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am attaching my scenario in the ppt file and some commands in the word file.

I understand that to set the RIP of a router in OSPF you have three options in this order: 1) Set the RID with the "router-id (value)" command. 2) If you don't set the RID with the "router-id" commant then set a loopback and the highest loopback will be the RID. 3) If there is no RID configured with the "router-id" and there is no loopback then the RID will be the highest numeric IP address from all working interfaces.

In my case I didn't set a RID with the "router-id" command. I set a loopback (4.4.4.4) so that it will be my RID but the router still shows the highest numeric IP address of a working interface as the RID..... do you see anything wrong with my configuration? What is the reason it is not setting the RID to the value of the loopback?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to reboot after setting the RID or clear the ospf process with "clear ip ospf process." Did you do this?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to reboot after setting the RID or clear the ospf process with "clear ip ospf process." Did you do this?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I did apply the "ip ospf clear process". But I just read sometimes that my not work so IOS has to reboot. I did it and it works now. As you also stated. Thanks.

servantude
Level 1
Level 1

I cant remember for sure, but I almost think you have to use Loopback0 not 1. I could be wrong, but I've made this work before and I used Loopback0 without a problem.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card