Woo!! I am CCENT

Unanswered Question
Jun 30th, 2009

Hi Folks, I appeared for the test yesterday, I scored 944. It was great. I prepared using Cisco Press book (Odom), CBT Nugget and Todd Lammle (I love his subnetting method). This is my first certification ever and I was nervous but after 15 mins in, I was all set and it was great. Now I am going for vacation for 10 days and will start studying for CCNA after that. I am interested in Security track, Am I eligible to appear for 640-553 exam?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jimmysands73_2 Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:50

Congratulations, thats great...and a awesome score btw.

Good luck on your future endeavors,

BlackZero Thu, 07/02/2009 - 04:33

Thanks a lot guys. So I will be taking security test after my ICND2. I can't wait to get back to my studying schedule. :D

richlohman Sun, 07/05/2009 - 19:25

Congrats! I really liked the Odom books, too (used for both ICND1 and ICND2), but Lammle's subnetting method is tough to beat. Good idea to jump right back in to studying for the CCNA; while it's still fresh.

pipemajor Wed, 07/15/2009 - 04:19

Congrats also from here. As of yesterday, I also am a CCENT with 902 score - not quite as impressive as yours.

I also used Wendell Odom's Cisco Press Official Exam Certification Guide books.

I'm into his ICND2 book already - I can't wait for the full CCNA!

Yup, security is also my focus but, the one category I scored quite low on the 640-822 exam.

Maximusb246 Thu, 07/16/2009 - 16:09

congrats i am studying now for my ccent, how long did you study for the exam?

pipemajor Thu, 07/16/2009 - 16:15

It depends what your current knowledge is. If you are brand new to networking, it may take you 3-4 months. If you already have experience and merely need to brush up on a few topics, then several weeks may suffice.

CCENT is a lot of networking theory, IPv4 subnetting, basic switch & router configuration, setup and troubleshooting.

You'll need strong troubleshooting skills as the simulations will require you to analyze a broken network and make the required changes to fix it.

Strong troubleshooting requires a good comfort with the various Cisco show commands.

Maximusb246 Thu, 07/16/2009 - 16:20

What materials helped you the most to prepare for the exam, I have the ODOM book as well as the CBT nuggets training. Would you recommend anything else? I appreciate your input...

pipemajor Sat, 07/18/2009 - 09:32

> What materials helped you the most to prepare for the exam, I have the ODOM book as well as the CBT nuggets training.

If you have the current (second edition) of the Odom CCENT/CCNA Exam Certification Guides which come in 2 volumes, that is where to start. I also used some of Chris Bryant's material (TheBryantAdvantage.com) but the biggest dividend payer was my home lab of real live routers and switches. Used Cisco gear is available for cheap and most of it is very viable for 99% of your tasks.

For example, I practiced over and over again, starting with empty router and switch configurations and working on various lab scenarios. I learned something out of one of the books - I went to try it out on my hardware.

If you are willing to put the work into your studies, you should have no surprises on any of the exams. Be sure to check out the Cisco web sites for current exam topics. They even have some practice exams.

I found the Boson practice exams great learning experiences. My exam wasn't as difficult as the practice exams but you do have to read all of the information given you on the exam.

Don't be discouraged if you fail. Nearly all of us will fail exams from time-to-time. If you're comfortable with all of the topics in the Odom text(s), you should be in fine shape.

Maximusb246 Thu, 07/16/2009 - 16:11

what advice can you give for preparing for the ccent exam? Any help would be appreciated and once again congrats on passing with a great score

lyranvolcrane Mon, 07/27/2009 - 15:06

The best piece of advice I generally give to start on CCENT prep is get your subnetting down completely, be able to subnet with various masks and address classes in under 20-40 seconds.

Also get familiar and comfortable with the CLI, it is your friend and you will find in the exam it remains to be your friend in some circumstances.

But the best piece of advice I can give you, is to not give up or get discouraged if something goes wrong, it isn't the end!

It took me three tries...

This Discussion