cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminate ISDN PRI on Cisco 2811 ISR

mmurray
Level 1
Level 1

I need to terminate two ISDN PRI circuits on a 2811 ISR. One will be used for voice and one for data. What interface modules do I need?

I thought I needed a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 but now I think I might need a HWIC-1CI1T1-PRI. Or can I use either? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need specialized cards for each purpose, one VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 and one HWIC-1CI1T1-PRI.

So the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 card is for the voice PRI and the HWIC-1CI1T1-PRI is for data? I thought the Multiflex T1 cards could handle both voice and data:

"The Cisco 1 and 2-port T1/E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN Interface Cards ("Multiflex VWICs") support voice, and data applications in Cisco 2600, 2800, 3600, 3700, and 3800 multiservice routers. The Multiflex VWIC combines WAN Interface Card (WIC) and Voice Interface Card (VIC) functionality to provide unparalleled flexibility, versatility and investment protection through its many uses."

So the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 card is for the voice PRI and the HWIC-1CI1T1-PRI is for data? I thought the Multiflex T1 cards could handle both voice and data:

"The Cisco 1 and 2-port T1/E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN Interface Cards ("Multiflex VWICs") support voice, and data applications in Cisco 2600, 2800, 3600, 3700, and 3800 multiservice routers. The Multiflex VWIC combines WAN Interface Card (WIC) and Voice Interface Card (VIC) functionality to provide unparalleled flexibility, versatility and investment protection through its many uses."

There, "data" means a data circuit, like T1 or fractions T1, or E1.

You want ISDN PRI for Data (digital or modem), that's something different.

If you want a box that does everything universally on a single interface, get an AS5xxx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card