VTP and STP for ICND2

Unanswered Question
Jun 30th, 2009

Hi all. I've successfully passed ICND1 with much effort and am now working towards ICND2 finding things become increasingly complicated or, simply challenging.

I have been reading Wendell Odom's book for ICND2 but am struggling with clarity of exactly what VTP and STP do ? Can someone offer me a reasonably simply explanation to build upon ?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Eddie

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
compsolv Tue, 06/30/2009 - 13:45

VTP should be called the VLAN Management Protocol :-) Remember, it is for managing your VLANs. You can go to one switch and create or edit your VLANs and have them propagate to all your devices. The reason why it is called VLAN Trunk Protocol is that the management messages only work over trunk links.

STP is complex - but its main job is simple - make sure there are no loops in the Layer 2 infrastructure.

Enjoy your studies!

Anthony Sequeira

www.ine.com

eddienorman Wed, 07/01/2009 - 06:28

Thanks Anthony for the brief outline. Would you expand a bit more on STP ?

dwmcneil1 Tue, 07/07/2009 - 15:42

STP = Spanning Tree Protocol

Essentially, if you have multiple connections between switches (say for redundant connectivity) it allows the switches participating to communicate a "tree" structure to each other to avoid loops and broadcast storms - they can see a single path where there may be multiples...

Similar to a Layer 3 routing protocol which provides a best path for packets, STP provides a path for frames at Layer 2 using the Spanning-Tree algorithm...

keeping it simple(I hope) :)

Peace,

Dan

eddienorman Wed, 07/08/2009 - 04:33

Good morning Dan.

Yes, thanks for the info. I'm finding that VTP and STP may be the toughest topics for me on the CCENT2 test. Most everything else seems to be flowing.

Allow me to ask something else. I've been reading about manual summarization and auto sumarization. Is it accurate to say they are opposite of each other ? For example, manual summarization works with classless ip and protocols such as ospf, RIP v2, EIGRP and autosummarization works with classful ip and RIPv1 ? Anything you can add to this would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Eddie

viyuan700 Thu, 07/09/2009 - 08:22

We are summarizing in Manual & Auto, in one case you are doing it (manual)and in auto router is doing it(IF you want to understand that way i think not a problem means they are opposite).

OSPF dont summarize automatically so manual always.

RIPv2 & EIGRP, default is auto but you can summarize manually too.

RIP v1 not manual summarization

ip classless is different thing maybe these 2 links can clear your doubt.

FOr definition of classless

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/ipaddr/command/reference/ip1_i1g.html#wp1080427

For an example of classless

http://subnettingmadeeasy.blogspot.com/2009/06/ip-classless-versus-no-ip-classless.html

Actions

This Discussion