Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 Router FastEthernet0/0

jbradmck1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can I use the 1841 FastEthernet0/0 as the connection port to my ISP?

I have a T1 WIC, but am switching to an ethernet circuit from my provider.

Also - do you have configuration examples?

Thanks!

15 Replies 15

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which speed are you getting from the ISP ?

6 meg

All good then, just follow other fellows good advice.

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

You can use FastEthernet0/0 to connect to your ISP. It depend on how your ISP want you to configure the FastEthernet0/0 interface, static or DHCP. If it is static, just make sure you get the right IP address and subnet mask, for example:

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shutdown

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.2

If it is going to be assigned by ISP's DHCP, like cable,

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address dhcp

no shutdown

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0

HTH,

jerry

I am using static.

Is this correct?

int fastethernet0/0

ip address 168.215.69.130 255.255.255.252

no shutdown

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 168.215.69.129

Attached is "sh config". Thanks for help.

There are all types of commands issued to the existing serial0/0 internal port through T1-WIC.

The serial0/0 T1-WIC will no longer be used after the fa0/0 is connected to the new ethernet circuit.

Do I need to apply all commands to the fa0/0 port?

Sorry to be a dummy.

Hi James,

You need these commands for you FastEthernet 0/0 also:

ip verify unicast reverse-path

ip inspect DEFAULT100 out

ip nat outside

no cdp enable

crypto map SDM_CMAP_1

crypto ipsec df-bit clear

HTH,

jerry

Thank you Jerry!

I got dropped in an urgent Cisco project and really appreciate your help. This system will be cut-over live and I want to double check everything

Personally I'd hard code the speed and duplex also.

should I issue the

Router(config-if)#shutdown command on the serial0/0 also? The T1 connected to the T1-WIC serial0/0 will no longer be used.

I would. I like a nice clean router / config. However I'd archive a copy of the current config unless you need to refer or revert back to it.

Of course you should. Clean up would be nice, but like the other poster said, you should save the config before clean it up. And you should also save the config somewhere before you make any changes also.

Regards,

jerry

Hello,

Me again. I think there might be an access list issue. We performed the cutover from T1 to Ethernet. This is 1841 router with T1-WIC that is working very well. We decided to use fa0/0 for a new ethernet WAN connection and get rid of T1.

The line protocol would come up and go back down on the 1841 after fa0/0 set-up. We linked a laptop with the static IP to the service provider to test the cable connection. The ethernet connection is good before connecting to 1841 fa0/0.

Would you mind looking at the config to see where possible access list issue is?

Thanks! Attached file is running-config before changing fa0/0 for ethernet.

I added:

int fastethernet0/0

ip address 168.215.69.130 255.255.255.252

no shutdown

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 168.215.69.129

ip verify unicast reverse-path

ip inspect DEFAULT100 out

ip nat outside

no cdp enable

crypto map SDM_CMAP_1

crypto ipsec df-bit clear

to the fa0/0 and performed shutdown on serial0/0 when trying ethernet WAN connection.

While f0/0 is connected to the provider please capture the output from sh int f0/0 and post here.

Thanks,

I didn't capture/log the session yesterday. We are going to try again on Monday. It's a live cut-over from T1 to ethernet WAN.

Is there anything that I can try with the access-list possibly?

Someone else programmed the router. That person died and I am trying to fix.

I will capture the sh int fa0/0 while connected on Monday.

I kept seeing:

Interface up, line protocol down on fa0/0.

I issued no shutdown command on fa0/0.

We tried different cables. A laptop connected directly to WAN with static ip address. We tried both straight and x-over cables.

I put the original config back when ethernet WAN did not come up. The service provider could not ping the 1841 when we configured fa0/0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card