LWAPP AP over Cellular

Answered Question
Jun 30th, 2009

What is the requirement for having an LWAPP ap join a controller over broadband cellular network i.e EVDO or HSDPA?

Has anyone been successful with this?

Something for consideration:

I would love to see Cisco push a lite version of code with the CWAP or LWAPP capability to the new Verizon /Sprint MiFi device for road travelers.

http://www.novatelwireless.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=75&Itemid=622

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by ericgarnel about 7 years 5 months ago

I believe the magic number you are looking for is 300ms

Overall Rating: 5 (4 ratings)
reginald-pugh Tue, 06/30/2009 - 16:09

Hi leolahoo,

Yes. Could you use OfficeExtend over a broadband cellular connection ? Coud you use lwapp ap on a regular (4402/2204 anchor controller in the DMZ ?

Leo Laohoo Tue, 06/30/2009 - 16:13

Hi Reginald,

I have some baaaaad news for you. OfficeExtend is only for the new 5508 WLC and it is not backward compatible.

reginald-pugh Tue, 06/30/2009 - 16:21

OK, what kind of bandwidth is needed to maintain the connection for the AP to the 5508? Can you join those the 1130 and 1140 APs to it (5508) over a home broadband cellular router?

Thanks for the help.

reginald-pugh Wed, 07/01/2009 - 05:47

thanks leolahoo, 5 points at ya for the link to how office connect works,

I found something of value on this latency issue, just need to understand Cisco' position (Best Practices) on using a broadband cellular ISP as the path for WAN connection from the remote home office.

Configuring Link Latency

You can configure link latency on the controller to measure the link between an access point and the controller. This feature can be used with all access points joined to the controller but is especially useful for hybrid-REAP and OfficeExtend access points, for which the link could be a slow or unreliable WAN connection.

Correct Answer
ericgarnel Wed, 07/01/2009 - 08:55

I believe the magic number you are looking for is 300ms

reginald-pugh Wed, 07/01/2009 - 11:03

Hi ericgarnel: where can that be found in Cisco documentation or is this ased on tests with other wlan systems?

Thanks

Reg

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode