cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid Syslog Messages

BRANDON PORTER
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Ciscoworks 3.1 with RME 4.2.0 and have about 600 devices sending syslog messages to the server. In the Syslog Collector Status we see a small number of Invalid messages.

How can I figure out which devices are sending the Invalid syslog messages? If I copy the syslog.log file from the server, what do I need to search for to identify Invalid messages and is there any documentation on CCO that defines what Ciscoworks Syslog Collector considers an Invalid message format?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One possible source of invalid logs is PIX firewalls sending syslogs in non-EMBLEM format.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One possible source of invalid logs is PIX firewalls sending syslogs in non-EMBLEM format.

We have an FWSM module and several ASA-5505 all reporting syslog messages to Ciscoworks successfully using the Emblem format.

I'll check with the rest of my group to see if there are any other PIX devices that we don't manage that might be configured to forward syslog messages to our Ciscoworks server.

Thanks.

We have an FWSM module and several ASA-5505 all reporting syslog messages to Ciscoworks successfully using the Emblem format.

I'll check with the rest of my group to see if there are any other PIX devices that we don't manage that might be configured to forward syslog messages to our Ciscoworks server.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: