Replies

no vsan xxxx interface fc1/3 doesn't work

mattkauffmann
Level 1
Level 1

The latest cli guide on Cisco's website

Cisco MDS 9000 Family

CLI Configuration Guide, Release 3.x

Cisco MDS SAN-OS for Release 3.0(1) Through 3.3(2)

December 2008

says this command should work (page 20-7)

no vsan xxxx interface fc1/3

but I'm getting this

c9216wbtest1(config-vsan-db)# no vsan 1000 interface fc1/3

'no' option is not supported with this command

c9216wbtest1(config-vsan-db)#

We're running 3.3.(1c) on this switch. Any thoughts? Am I missing something here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure why the manual states that...but as far as I know, you can not remove an interface from a VSAN. You can move it to another VSAN, but since every port has to be in a VSAN, there is no support for the 'no vsan' command. If you delete a VSAN that has interfaces in it, the ports are mapped to VSAN 4094 (I believe) which is the 'isolated VSAN'. That VSAN can not be used for any traffic, it's landing place for interfaces that have the VSAN deleted out from under them.

I will look into filing a documentation correction as I believe that it is in error.

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure why the manual states that...but as far as I know, you can not remove an interface from a VSAN. You can move it to another VSAN, but since every port has to be in a VSAN, there is no support for the 'no vsan' command. If you delete a VSAN that has interfaces in it, the ports are mapped to VSAN 4094 (I believe) which is the 'isolated VSAN'. That VSAN can not be used for any traffic, it's landing place for interfaces that have the VSAN deleted out from under them.

I will look into filing a documentation correction as I believe that it is in error.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Mike,

yeah it didn't make sense so then I wanted to know why my stuff wasn't working if the book says it should.

Thanks for identifying the hole the documentation...I will make sure it's corrected in future revisions.

Mike

I have filed the feedback to get this corrected in the future versions of the manual. It was also incorrect in the 4.1 version of the manual, on the same page.

Thanks,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: